The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

"Normal" characters?
Before reading on, this post is -not- aimed to anyone specially, but it does describe events of multiple persons in the last week. If you are offended easily, do not read on. This post also contains several flames, is harsh, and probably offensive to someone at least, but all in all, I hope it brings a point across.

Right, so I've been thinking for the last four hours during my work which ended in me being quite.. absent minded from it but heh, nobody noticed so whatever. First off, this is not aimed to be a attack at anyone, but rather a complaint, or a dislike I've personally felt especially these last.. 3 weeks or so.

Normal characters, hardly anyone I´ve ran into plays one. [/color]Everyone seems to be -better- then someone of exactly the same race. Everyone seems to be -especially- good at hearing, seeing, tracking and so on just because he/she stated it over party chat. If you ask me, it's blatant bullshit for a lack of better terms. It's understandable everyone is different on the server, the way people play their characters, and sure, everyone is better at something in one way or another, but during the last 3 weeks I've heard at least.. 5 times over party, whisper, or whatever that he/she is very good in something and thus my character loses. Or so they expect her to. Whether by being found, losing a fight, or else. They automatically expect because they say it over party or whisper without -any- background whatsoever stating it, they are better.

Now, I'm not complaining about blood elves seeing/hearing more then humans, I'm complaining about humans seeing/hearing more then the regular human. Nobody is normal any more, nobody is average, nobody is like the race description tells them. (Nobody I've rped with recently that is) I've met a human riding a tiger, I've met a blood elf stating she could see me on the top of a big ass hill if it wasn't for the rain, and other crap. And frankly, it's quite killing realism for me.

Where have the normal characters gone? Where have those normal soldiers ventured off to, where are the people who are obedient towards their superiors? Now, while the last thing is not fitting in yet, it will later on. This server, from my point of view lacks the complete average people. Frankly, these days it's original to be normal. Original to not have some extreme hearing, seeing and whatever capabilities.

Take my character Ellyn, she's average at best and has to work her ass off for everyone she gets. She doesn't complain, because she gets the chance to develop herself further and improve her capabilities. But when she spies on a group, she gets told that the group would be able to see her because they are so much better (The group consisting of humans themselves). When she tries to punch another human, that blow automatically get's deflected because he or she has lord knows how many months/years/wars of combat experience. You know what? So has Ellyn, she has fought plenty of times, she has gained more IC training then probably most of the commoners, and that's why she's a damn officer. That's why she is the ranger Lieutenant, but so far, nobody has treated her as one nor cared about how I felt like everyone killing the events I had in mind.

My second dislike, is the fact that people sign up for a guild but their characters are completely unfitting in character to actually improve/stay in it. Ellyn her squad, is full of disobedient, stubborn people who refuse to follow orders, who refuse to change. No, I'm not trying to be in the spotlight all the time. As a matter of fact, I can't seeing -you- guys take all the light. You guys go off to do you're own damn business, ignoring the fact that you are part of a group. Ignoring the fact you are killing any possibilities to have fun group events like trainings, missions. Why? Because in the last week, three deserted because they felt like doing whatever they pretty damn pleased. I'm not saying you're character should behave like a dog and bark when asked, I'm saying you should OOCly start thinking how it affects the other person involved.

How is someone, supposed to lead a squad when everyone in there has made their characters so god-damn impossible to work with? And when I ask why they joined, they say for the cash. Wouldn't it ring a logic bell stating that if they go on like this, they don't get paid? If they keep showing signs of insubordination, disobedience and lord knows what, that they would rather get tossed into the court martial? Hellooo? Anyone?

From my point of view, the place is covered with snow but 80% of that snow leaves to hot sunny lands because they are special snowflakes. The 20% remaining gets ditched and are the only ones still sticking to the race it's abilities and capabilities, instead of turning into a unique one. I'm not sure if that made sense, but I wouldn't know how to explain it.

All I'm trying to say is, stop being so unique! Stop being so special, because these days it's special to be normal! These days it's special to not have a mount, to not have combat experience, to obey to you're superiors and to actually be part of the guild actively IC-wise. Get you're ass out of the military if you're character is too stubborn to work with it, get you're ass out of the Alliance it's lands when it prefers Horde/SS company over their own race, and get you're ass of the damn tiger as human. Start being normal people, start obeying superiors in rank if you are in the military, but most of all, start being a member of the race who acts like one! Unless you are a 60 year old human fighter, stop fighting like one. Stop being the best of the best, because frankly, it's no fun at all.

Again, this is not stated at anyone or the commoners. I used the commoners because they gave me the best examples. They are still a -very- fun guild and I am not mad on anyone in it. I like the RP, I like the development and I like everyone in it OOCly. It was the best example I had, as arguments over the internet are still not my strongest point and the recent happenings squad-wise. Now, carry on with the thought that I <3 this server and it's people, but despite <3ing you, this had to be said from my point of view. If you do not agree, be welcome to state so but let's keep it mildly friendly without OOC in-game drama.
Quote:Perhaps one day, at a new sight,
We will search again for that light.
Hold it close, between our arms,
Listen again, to the priestess her charms.
- Me, in a poetry named "The Priestess."
Before reading on, this post is -not- aimed to anyone specially, but it does describe events of multiple persons in the last week. If you are offended easily, do not read on. This post also contains several flames, is harsh, and probably offensive to someone at least, but all in all, I hope it brings a point across.

Right, so I've been thinking for the last four hours during my work which ended in me being quite.. absent minded from it but heh, nobody noticed so whatever. First off, this is not aimed to be a attack at anyone, but rather a complaint, or a dislike I've personally felt especially these last.. 3 weeks or so.

Normal characters, hardly anyone I´ve ran into plays one. [/color]Everyone seems to be -better- then someone of exactly the same race. Everyone seems to be -especially- good at hearing, seeing, tracking and so on just because he/she stated it over party chat. If you ask me, it's blatant bullshit for a lack of better terms. It's understandable everyone is different on the server, the way people play their characters, and sure, everyone is better at something in one way or another, but during the last 3 weeks I've heard at least.. 5 times over party, whisper, or whatever that he/she is very good in something and thus my character loses. Or so they expect her to. Whether by being found, losing a fight, or else. They automatically expect because they say it over party or whisper without -any- background whatsoever stating it, they are better.

Now, I'm not complaining about blood elves seeing/hearing more then humans, I'm complaining about humans seeing/hearing more then the regular human. Nobody is normal any more, nobody is average, nobody is like the race description tells them. (Nobody I've rped with recently that is) I've met a human riding a tiger, I've met a blood elf stating she could see me on the top of a big ass hill if it wasn't for the rain, and other crap. And frankly, it's quite killing realism for me.

Where have the normal characters gone? Where have those normal soldiers ventured off to, where are the people who are obedient towards their superiors? Now, while the last thing is not fitting in yet, it will later on. This server, from my point of view lacks the complete average people. Frankly, these days it's original to be normal. Original to not have some extreme hearing, seeing and whatever capabilities.

Take my character Ellyn, she's average at best and has to work her ass off for everyone she gets. She doesn't complain, because she gets the chance to develop herself further and improve her capabilities. But when she spies on a group, she gets told that the group would be able to see her because they are so much better (The group consisting of humans themselves). When she tries to punch another human, that blow automatically get's deflected because he or she has lord knows how many months/years/wars of combat experience. You know what? So has Ellyn, she has fought plenty of times, she has gained more IC training then probably most of the commoners, and that's why she's a damn officer. That's why she is the ranger Lieutenant, but so far, nobody has treated her as one nor cared about how I felt like everyone killing the events I had in mind.

My second dislike, is the fact that people sign up for a guild but their characters are completely unfitting in character to actually improve/stay in it. Ellyn her squad, is full of disobedient, stubborn people who refuse to follow orders, who refuse to change. No, I'm not trying to be in the spotlight all the time. As a matter of fact, I can't seeing -you- guys take all the light. You guys go off to do you're own damn business, ignoring the fact that you are part of a group. Ignoring the fact you are killing any possibilities to have fun group events like trainings, missions. Why? Because in the last week, three deserted because they felt like doing whatever they pretty damn pleased. I'm not saying you're character should behave like a dog and bark when asked, I'm saying you should OOCly start thinking how it affects the other person involved.

How is someone, supposed to lead a squad when everyone in there has made their characters so god-damn impossible to work with? And when I ask why they joined, they say for the cash. Wouldn't it ring a logic bell stating that if they go on like this, they don't get paid? If they keep showing signs of insubordination, disobedience and lord knows what, that they would rather get tossed into the court martial? Hellooo? Anyone?

From my point of view, the place is covered with snow but 80% of that snow leaves to hot sunny lands because they are special snowflakes. The 20% remaining gets ditched and are the only ones still sticking to the race it's abilities and capabilities, instead of turning into a unique one. I'm not sure if that made sense, but I wouldn't know how to explain it.

All I'm trying to say is, stop being so unique! Stop being so special, because these days it's special to be normal! These days it's special to not have a mount, to not have combat experience, to obey to you're superiors and to actually be part of the guild actively IC-wise. Get you're ass out of the military if you're character is too stubborn to work with it, get you're ass out of the Alliance it's lands when it prefers Horde/SS company over their own race, and get you're ass of the damn tiger as human. Start being normal people, start obeying superiors in rank if you are in the military, but most of all, start being a member of the race who acts like one! Unless you are a 60 year old human fighter, stop fighting like one. Stop being the best of the best, because frankly, it's no fun at all.

Again, this is not stated at anyone or the commoners. I used the commoners because they gave me the best examples. They are still a -very- fun guild and I am not mad on anyone in it. I like the RP, I like the development and I like everyone in it OOCly. It was the best example I had, as arguments over the internet are still not my strongest point and the recent happenings squad-wise. Now, carry on with the thought that I <3 this server and it's people, but despite <3ing you, this had to be said from my point of view. If you do not agree, be welcome to state so but let's keep it mildly friendly without OOC in-game drama.
Quote:Perhaps one day, at a new sight,
We will search again for that light.
Hold it close, between our arms,
Listen again, to the priestess her charms.
- Me, in a poetry named "The Priestess."
I agree. I agree. I agree.

I get so overwhelmed with how SO many profiles have a super special...something, about there character in it. Usually it's a minute detail, but it usually is an unusual quirk.

I wouldn't be so against it if usually that quirk wasn't "Oh, I like/dislike this race that I really normally shouldn't like/dislike". That is becoming such a weak way of gaining attention to a profile, and it already was pretty damn weak.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I agree. I agree. I agree.

I get so overwhelmed with how SO many profiles have a super special...something, about there character in it. Usually it's a minute detail, but it usually is an unusual quirk.

I wouldn't be so against it if usually that quirk wasn't "Oh, I like/dislike this race that I really normally shouldn't like/dislike". That is becoming such a weak way of gaining attention to a profile, and it already was pretty damn weak.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Aruen Wrote:Words

Supported, for what it's worth.
[Image: Signature.png]
Aruen Wrote:Words

Supported, for what it's worth.
I would also agree with you my dear frustrated friend.

Back when I was attempting to string together the Confederation and the Coalition I encountered a lot of what you are talking about in this post. Something I got in a lot of whispers was "My Character doesn't listen to anyone unless they've proved themselves to my character", which did seem interesting as they seemed to join the group without a second thought. Likewise while in Durotar there were a huge amount of Characters of an Alliance Race working as spies for the Horde. These spy characters were not only miraculously trusted by the Orcs, but they possessed some impressive senses and skills as well.

To a certain extent, it's a bit of a Mary Sue thing, having all these pseudo-superpowers and a streak of rebellion in their blood. Most players mature out of it. You can't tell someone how to roleplay.

Hopefully, by seeing this you realize what not to do, and you try to act out your character as best you can, hoping a bit of realism rubs off on others.
[Image: walrus_family_affair-2.gif]
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings" - Lewis Carrol
I would also agree with you my dear frustrated friend.

Back when I was attempting to string together the Confederation and the Coalition I encountered a lot of what you are talking about in this post. Something I got in a lot of whispers was "My Character doesn't listen to anyone unless they've proved themselves to my character", which did seem interesting as they seemed to join the group without a second thought. Likewise while in Durotar there were a huge amount of Characters of an Alliance Race working as spies for the Horde. These spy characters were not only miraculously trusted by the Orcs, but they possessed some impressive senses and skills as well.

To a certain extent, it's a bit of a Mary Sue thing, having all these pseudo-superpowers and a streak of rebellion in their blood. Most players mature out of it. You can't tell someone how to roleplay.

Hopefully, by seeing this you realize what not to do, and you try to act out your character as best you can, hoping a bit of realism rubs off on others.
[Image: walrus_family_affair-2.gif]
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings" - Lewis Carrol
Oh, for the record, in times of war desertion and insubordination are punishable by death.
Oh, for the record, in times of war desertion and insubordination are punishable by death.
I haven't ran into any characters that were 'abnormal', however... I do see your point.
My character is very normal and has no strange rings, bracers, belts or whatever. I like the normal character and I enjoy playing one.

Back on the Live server, I've seen a lot of that 'I-don't-want-to-do-what-my-officer-tells-me-because-I-don't-like-to-follow-up-on-rules', I've been one myself! Then I tried to lead a squad and all I got was lazy characters with the same lazy attitude. I realised then, that it's absolutely strange to join a military rank and then not to obbey the rules! If you join up for one, then you automatically sign up for following orders that your superiors give you.

Do you really think a 'real' soldier will tell his superior to take a hike? They wouldn't dare to, you know why? Because they'll be laying in the dust with a huge boot up their back doing 100 push-ups, that's why! Or... in the more protected countries they'll be discharged and signed off.

I suppose that's what you should do Aruen, just IC'ly kick them out like in any normal organisation. Of course OOC warn them before doing so. Perhaps they will understand that it's difficult to actually rp something if none of your soldiers is listening. Soldiers should be all ears and less brains. Of course, when they have showed that they have what it takes, they could try to 'change' something. Let's be honoust... if you start a job... you don't tell your superior 'no'. That would be rather foolish if you ask me.

I totally understand what you are talking about Aruen and I think you need to have a nice OOC chat with your squad. *nods*

On a side note... I have a rather normal character laying around. I used to play her on the live servers and I am thinking that this one will be great for your squad. However, she needs some background thinking over and all, so perhaps you'll give me some time for that and allow me to join without a profile. Looking forward to meet Ellyn. She'll be very average though, something you might like :) Her name is Ashrey!
I haven't ran into any characters that were 'abnormal', however... I do see your point.
My character is very normal and has no strange rings, bracers, belts or whatever. I like the normal character and I enjoy playing one.

Back on the Live server, I've seen a lot of that 'I-don't-want-to-do-what-my-officer-tells-me-because-I-don't-like-to-follow-up-on-rules', I've been one myself! Then I tried to lead a squad and all I got was lazy characters with the same lazy attitude. I realised then, that it's absolutely strange to join a military rank and then not to obbey the rules! If you join up for one, then you automatically sign up for following orders that your superiors give you.

Do you really think a 'real' soldier will tell his superior to take a hike? They wouldn't dare to, you know why? Because they'll be laying in the dust with a huge boot up their back doing 100 push-ups, that's why! Or... in the more protected countries they'll be discharged and signed off.

I suppose that's what you should do Aruen, just IC'ly kick them out like in any normal organisation. Of course OOC warn them before doing so. Perhaps they will understand that it's difficult to actually rp something if none of your soldiers is listening. Soldiers should be all ears and less brains. Of course, when they have showed that they have what it takes, they could try to 'change' something. Let's be honoust... if you start a job... you don't tell your superior 'no'. That would be rather foolish if you ask me.

I totally understand what you are talking about Aruen and I think you need to have a nice OOC chat with your squad. *nods*

On a side note... I have a rather normal character laying around. I used to play her on the live servers and I am thinking that this one will be great for your squad. However, she needs some background thinking over and all, so perhaps you'll give me some time for that and allow me to join without a profile. Looking forward to meet Ellyn. She'll be very average though, something you might like :) Her name is Ashrey!
Mansfield is special. He may be an old man who enjoys sitting around and reading while fishing, but he is better at medicine than you will ever be. :|

Joking aside, this is a common problem indeed, on many levels.

Mansfield is better at medicine than a lot of people because he's old, all things considered, and he's got a lot of years of medical practice under his belt, including actual combat experience as a surgeon both IC and in his character history. With this in mind, I would be unhappy if someone posted a profile stating that their 18-year-old human was the best surgeon in the world, because it isn't logical.

Logic. That's the missing piece. A group of Indians can't all be chiefs, if you get my meaning.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
Mansfield is special. He may be an old man who enjoys sitting around and reading while fishing, but he is better at medicine than you will ever be. :|

Joking aside, this is a common problem indeed, on many levels.

Mansfield is better at medicine than a lot of people because he's old, all things considered, and he's got a lot of years of medical practice under his belt, including actual combat experience as a surgeon both IC and in his character history. With this in mind, I would be unhappy if someone posted a profile stating that their 18-year-old human was the best surgeon in the world, because it isn't logical.

Logic. That's the missing piece. A group of Indians can't all be chiefs, if you get my meaning.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
Well this is the thing... most humans... or at least those that I've seen, are at least 60 years old. Now that's old for a human in these times!. However, if you character would join a rank that would indicate that he or she has to follow certaint rules... I'd think he or she would do that, yes? Because that's what you get your money for! If you don't, you wouldn't be too surprised to be kicked I presure...

That is basically what this post is about. People that think they can go against the Lieutenants ideas because 'they want it' or because they like to be the type that starts something. Now one person that is slightly leaning towards the rebellion isn't that bad, but all of them... They need a stop to them, they really do.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fate of our characters FlyingSquirrel 27 13,980 03-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Geoni
  Random facts about our characters Saiyuu 181 38,186 12-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Hearthstone Characters DaveM 6 5,470 10-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Geoni
  Question Concerning Merchant Characters/Shops Felitsa 4 1,185 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Temporary characters for events Dae 8 1,943 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Kage