The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Fel-Sworn prestige class
Yeah, an interesting conversation emerged this morning on chat. The idea of Fel-sworn prestige classes and breaking CotH rules. To be a Fel-sworn, you have to be a follower of the Legion, and to not be is an act of Mary-sue or snow-flake. One of my characters was on the road to being such a thing until I thought about it. This is a quote from the WoWwiki

Spoiler:
Quote:"Fel-sworn (spelled Fel-Sworn many of the times, also called Felsworn) is a prestige class taken by some members of the Burning Legion. The servants of the Burning Legion are a myriad of darkly motivated men and women, servants of some demonic will. Most of those who have become slaves to the Burning Legion have done so by following mystical paths that are not only perilous for one's body, but also for one's soul, as warlocks may bind them to their will and they become more and more evil as time passes.

The fel-sworn are those who have begun to transform due to their exposure to the energies of the Burning Legion. Their bodies have warped and twisted to take on a new shape as their souls become more and more evil. While they might start out resembling normal members of their race, their demonic features develop until they are terrifying beings, half humanoid and half demon.

Some mutations include the ability to see in the dark or breathe fire. Other fel-sworn have been known to grow wings, talons, fangs, horns, or scaly hides. Some have even grown in size.

Their ranks are often formed of former warlocks or those who have been exposed to fel poison or spells using fel energy."

The Felsworn are beings becoming demons, who are followers of the Legion. Not against it. An example of a demonic being against the Legion is a Demon-Hunter in it's most extreme forms. I would like to know your thoughts on this so let's share.
It puts the grammar in the RP or else it gets the hose again...
Anyone who gorges on demonic blood or other sources of fel energy will become a felsworn eventually, one could argue that that is what happened to Illidan. Most felsworn are obviously with the Legion since they have the largest supply of the needed "ingredient". But, there are other felsworn out there, warlocks who summoned demons to drain them on their eneergies, orcs so crased by the bloodlust given by Mannoroths blood that they needed more, I'd even say the Fel-Orcs all show the beginning stages of becomming demonic/felsworn.

Anyway, you don't need to be part of the Legion since all it takes is to find a rich enough supply of fel to "feed" on, demons are the obvious choice but draining demonic artefacts work too, much like how Illidan took the power still with Gul'dan's skull to become the winged and horned lord we see today (or saw, I guess, since he's supposed to be dead).
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

"Fel-sworn (spelled Fel-Sworn many of the times, also called Felsworn) is a prestige class taken by some members of the Burning Legion. The servants of the Burning Legion are a myriad of darkly motivated men and women, servants of some demonic will. Most of those who have become slaves to the Burning Legion have done so by following mystical paths that are not only perilous for one's body, but also for one's soul, as warlocks may bind them to their will and they become more and more evil as time passes."

Says otherwise. Fel-sworn and demonic transformations aren't the same thing. Yes, anyone can go through demonic changes itself through prolonged overexposure to fel-energies, but the class itself is a servant to the legion. Like Dragonsworn are servants to the Dragons.
Quote:Fel-Sworns are those who have begun to transform due to their exposure to the energies of the Burning Legion. Their bodies have warped and twisted to take on a new shape as their souls become more and more evil. While they might start out resembling normal members of their race, their demonic features develop until they are terrifying beings, half humanoid and half demon.

This is the part I see as important, the part bellow, which is the only thing stating that they need to be part of Legion, I'm pretty sure was added by a Wiki-user.

Quote:Fel-sworn (spelled Fel-Sworn many of the times, also called Felsworn) is a prestige class taken by some members of the Burning Legion.

You don't have to be part of the Legion to take on the prestige class, most of those who do become part of the Legion since they can supply the Fel they need as well as give them an outlet for their bloodthirst and brutality but it's not necessary. One thing that's sure is that felsworn isn't a nice people and will be killed on sight in most if not all cities, the only place I think could be an exception would be the Forsaken, but even that's unsure after Varimathras' betrayal.

I think the main difference between a felsworn and "normal" mutations would be that the felsworn learn to control and harness the demonic power while other mutations run rampant, being as destructive as they can be constructive, or however we should put it.

But the Fel-sworn class, it's name period suggests that they are servants in this matter. As in, they've sworn they're allegiance. For those who couldn't control the power would most probably be a part of the legion as a mindless demon. It's just wierd, like saying a Dragonsworn is a half-dragon being with no ties to Dragons.
The Legion isn't the only demons though, you have to keep that in mind. There were demons and fel before there was a Burning Legion, obviously there were felsworn of some kind back then too.

Eh, due to lack of info can't really debate against it.
The "sworn" part is also described in our wiki... they can be bound to a powerful warlock due to their demonic nature. Although they are not of the legion, they still can be sworn to a warlock do to their heavy fel-intake, and eventual mutation into something very demon-like.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Well, we know that Sargeras was corrupted, how and by whom is unknown now due to the Draenei retcon, but before that the Eredar was accused of the act, which lead Sargeras to free the Dreadlords and start his burning crusade. At least that's how I think it went, either way some demons corrupted him, and he freed some other demons etc.

Anyway, I don't think it's that big a deal, we see other demons (voidwalkers, for an example) that aren't part of the Legion but still commanded by warlocks (even Legion warlocks) so it seems to me that the Legion isn't the only option for demonic beings.

Quote:Well, we know that Sargeras was corrupted, how and by whom is unknown now due to the Draenei retcon, but before that the Eredar was accused of the act, which lead Sargeras to free the Dreadlords and start his burning crusade. At least that's how I think it went, either way some demons corrupted him, and he freed some other demons etc.

Actually, Sargeras wasn't corrupted by any other entity. He went mad after millennia of serving as a guardian against the demons if the Twisting Nether. In the end he brought them together to 'cleanse' the worlds his brother had created, meaning he would devour them.
"Kill a man, and you are an assassin. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone, and you are a god." - Beilby Porteus
I thought he was corrupted in the original lore at least? As I said, I'm not really sure how it currently stands, but I think I provided enough arguement for Felsworn not being part of the Legion at least. Or, to clarify, not being required to be part of it.

Original lore stated that Sargeras fought and defeated the eredar. It was that war that was the catalyst for Sargeras's corruption. After countless millennia of conflict (including the most recent fight against the Nathrezim), he grew depressed and left the Pantheon. In time, his depression grew into a madness; he decided that since evil was so prevalent, the Titan's themselves were somehow responsible for it and the entire universe would need to be destroyed in order to fix everything.

The retcon merely removed the eredar's influence. Instead, Sargeras came across them after the Burning Legion had already been established; he recruited a portion of the people to join while the rest fled and later became known as the draenei.

It's still assumed that something sparked Sargeras's fall (I've read speculation that it was either the nathrezim or maybe even the pit lords), but nothing was ever specifically stated to fill the void that resulted from the eredar retcon.

Regarding demons, the vast majority of them belong to the Burning Legion. WoWWiki's demon article states, "[a]lmost all demons are members of the Burning Legion, a group with phenomenal power, that roams the cosmos preying on worlds." I assume that the reason for this is two-fold:
  • Most of the demons that existed prior to the Burning Legion's formation were probably encouraged, bribed, coerced, or forced to join their ranks
  • Most of the demons that currently exist were once mortal creatures who were transformed into demons by the Burning Legion

So, approaching the idea of the fel-sworn, yes, it's very possible that one can exist without serving the Burning Legion. It's unlikely, but definitely not impossible! Furthermore, it might be important to keep in mind that being a member of the Burning Legion doesn't mean giving up all desires. Even the demons have fought amongst themselves to acquire power within the group or to serve their own personal whims. As such, a demon could be trying to cultivate power on Azeroth with the hope of either creating his own powerbase or to curry favor with his superiors.

In fact, there are a lot of fun possibilities inherent in pursuing that path!
Then that brings it down to Mary-su-

Nevermind.
Something being unusual doesn't have to be Mary Sue, demon hunters are unusual (or well, should be, hehe) but I've seen several people RP'ing as one without seeming Mary Sue (granted, it's more common that they are), it's all about how you go about it that matters and I'm confident there's a lot of people on CotH who could RP as a Felsworn that's not part of the Legion without it seeming odd.

Sargeras isn't a mary sue. He was created as a reason for most of the events in Warcraft lore happening, without him there would be no Warcraft. He is part of the story.

Felsworn aren't mary sues either, at least they weren't created to be. A felsworn who isn't a member of the Legion or at least completely evil would be a mary sue, but there are no lore felsworn who aren't a member of the Legion or completely evil.

Somebody could RP as a Felsworn but they would have to be willing to be kill on sight to basically every character in this game and on this server.
Pain is an illusion.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Class Elimination Game Nymus 92 15,539 11-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Holynexus
  Where can I find RP for my character? RP activity based on Race/Class Geoni 1 908 02-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Caravan
  The Tier System: (A prestige system idea, work in progress) Brutalskars 199 24,273 08-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Xigo
  Your Designed Class? Yau 10 1,681 04-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Last Post: CappnRob
  Prestige? Aadora 25 4,694 04-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Lystaa