The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Rigley Rambles on: Decisions! (Please Post!)
Evening, friends!

As of late I've been a bit under the weather, and re-adjusting to my new college schedule has proved a little rough. I'm not out, however; I'm slowly getting into the swing of things, heh.

As I've been idle though I've been pondering some new ideas in terms of stuff for me to run on the server. And here's where I come to an issue-- though I do enjoy Northwind, it is indeed a bit time and energy consuming. In short, it is difficult for me to run anything else if I am running Northwind events, due to how unpredictable the time is for them and how intensive they are for me to run.

But, on the same token Northwind seems to have gotten some -really- good reception; probably the most successful of my events thus far, in all honesty.

My dilemma falls to this. Should I give Northwind a break to pursue other ideas? My idea would be to throw Northwind on hold after completing X amount of the current events and then look into another idea.

I guess it would be good to explain what I would wish to replace Northwind with first, to give an idea of my intentions here. Effectively I have been rather inspired as of late (mostly by hearing about evil guilds and such concerns) towards looking to... well.

Not an evil guild. But one of immorality; less about seeking destruction or wrongdoing and more upon personal gain. Akin to pirates in terms of morality, not a cult. My desire is to resurrect the Hunter's Moon (formerly used scarcely for Dungeoneer and some other minor events), and see how the draw would be towards them. For those not in the know (that's most of you-- again, they were -never- used to the full intention I wished them to be), Hunter's Moon is effectively a mercenary organization of sorts, operating in neutral regions of the world mostly from the deck of an airship, lorded over by a wealthy 'businessman'.

While the guild was most heavily used for treasure hunting events in Dungeoneer, they were also involved in smuggling and a few more grandoise schemes, including providing heavy armed support in return for a fair sum of coin for organizations of less fond merits. What I'm getting at is a general mercenary / criminal guild, focusing primarily on attacking NPC targets with a slant towards the extravagant where methods come in. Parachuting down onto a noble estate to raid it, attacking goblin cargo ships with weather machines, creating various weapons of grand scale, so forth.

So... in a way, a pirate-ish guild with the aesthetic opulence of nobility and an airship instead of a normal vessel. With a corporate ranking scheme and exterior facade, while permitting bar brawls and promoting a life of decadence for those aboard. Basically a guild which I think would have a much more 'fun' and uplifting tone to it, and with a motive easy for characters to run with-- simple greed for gold and power.

So I'm not sure how well that was all phrased since I've been writing it with loud music booming in my ears (intentionally for the moment), and rushing since class is soon. But give me an idea of what you think, yeah? I'd be really interested in seeing some interest for this, since it's an idea I've had for a while and would like to see reaching fruition.
The pirate guild is certainly something I'd be interested in and would make a character for! I approve.

EDIT: To elaborate more, if you feel Northwind isn't your fancy right now, then I wouldn't do it for now. Events generally are even better when the DM is fully motivated to doing it and not thinking "You know, I really wish I was doing..." etc.

Just my two pennies.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
(08-28-2012, 07:50 AM)Hawk Wrote: The pirate guild is certainly something I'd be interested in and would make a character for! I approve.

EDIT: To elaborate more, if you feel Northwind isn't your fancy right now, then I wouldn't do it for now. Events generally are even better when the DM is fully motivated to doing it and not thinking "You know, I really wish I was doing..." etc.

Just my two pennies.

Aye, this is very true. I believe the issue with Northwind is that due to scheduling I don't get much time to actually RP on-server when I run it, as it usually eats up most of the convenient times for me to get in-game. Effectively (and I'm made mention of the issue with this before), this means I'm usually in Northwind's kind of 'mood' during most of my time on CotH now, which is alright for a while. I do think that a overly prolonged span of time with that though can get a bit tiring on the mind-- Hunter's Moon would hopefully be a more lighthearted thing to run on my end. I'd likely start Northwind back up later in greater force.

The only matter with Hunter's Moon is that I'll need to track down a few compatriots to help with the role of guild lead, heh. I may get on that shortly, though I think it may be best to wait until the server recovers from Guild Wars 2 and school starting up before I try to run a big recruitment.

...If I end up running the guild. Hopefully at this rate I will though.
Take a break from Northwind. It is an awesome event line and what not, but honestly? Sometimes, you need to take time for yourself.

...Something that rarely happens!
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
(08-28-2012, 08:59 AM)Rigley Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 07:50 AM)Hawk Wrote: The pirate guild is certainly something I'd be interested in and would make a character for! I approve.

Just my two pennies.

Aye, this is very true. I believe the issue with Northwind is that due to scheduling I don't get much time to actually RP on-server when I run it, as it usually eats up most of the convenient times for me to get in-game. Effectively (and I'm made mention of the issue with this before), this means I'm usually in Northwind's kind of 'mood' during most of my time on CotH now, which is alright for a while. I do think that a overly prolonged span of time with that though can get a bit tiring on the mind-- Hunter's Moon would hopefully be a more lighthearted thing to run on my end. I'd likely start Northwind back up later in greater force.

The only matter with Hunter's Moon is that I'll need to track down a few compatriots to help with the role of guild lead, heh. I may get on that shortly, though I think it may be best to wait until the server recovers from Guild Wars 2 and school starting up before I try to run a big recruitment.

...If I end up running the guild. Hopefully at this rate I will though.

Maybe get some other GMs to help with Northwind? It's not like they're doing anything anyway I'm sure some of them would be happy to aid you, :D
(PS; Just poking some fun, not meant maliciously my doves <3)
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
(08-28-2012, 07:08 PM)Aphetoros Wrote: Maybe get some other GMs to help with Northwind? It's not like they're doing anything anyway I'm sure some of them would be happy to aid you, :D

While it may seem a bit silly to say, I've actually preferred being the only one behind Northwind-- it helps keep the tone consistent, as well as my constantly mad-libs style lore. In short I don't think I could either write out -everything- needed to run the events effectively (since again, some of it is admittedly made up on the spot, and other things are by memory at this point), nor would I really want to expect someone else to remember all the inane details I would want to be put into place.

...Northwind really isn't as clean an idea as I make it out to be, when it comes to organization!

But aye. I actually wouldn't be that comfortable trading Northwind around much, as weird as that may sound.
Northwind is your 'baby', Rigs, so I wouldn't be surprised that you wouldn't feel comfortable handing the reigns elsewhere. But you know we're always happy to help anyway we can.

On that note...

Not to distract from this, but you and I should speak on that idea of mine for a storyline. Even if you aren't interested in working together on it with me, I'd still like one of your characters to play a close roll in its conception. Endling would make the most sense, but any pious character of yours could work.
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
(08-29-2012, 06:44 AM)Rigley Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 07:08 PM)Aphetoros Wrote: Maybe get some other GMs to help with Northwind? It's not like they're doing anything anyway I'm sure some of them would be happy to aid you, :D

While it may seem a bit silly to say, I've actually preferred being the only one behind Northwind-- it helps keep the tone consistent, as well as my constantly mad-libs style lore. In short I don't think I could either write out -everything- needed to run the events effectively (since again, some of it is admittedly made up on the spot, and other things are by memory at this point), nor would I really want to expect someone else to remember all the inane details I would want to be put into place.

...Northwind really isn't as clean an idea as I make it out to be, when it comes to organization!

But aye. I actually wouldn't be that comfortable trading Northwind around much, as weird as that may sound.

Well... Does it have to be the same thing when everyone uses it? I mean, look at Silent Hill. There are definitely some consistencies going on there, but the environment, monsters, threats, etc. are all different depending on who is going there and what's got the malevolent forces' panties in a wad.

Other GMs could potentially play different malevolent forces within the place and make it implied that the town would always be different, depending on who is visiting, or which evils the visitors agitate. Any inconsistencies could be chalked up to just how messed up that place is.

Of course, that's all ultimately up to you on how you want to deal with it, and considering how awesome Northwind was earlier, I'm happy to leave such a decision in your hands.
(08-29-2012, 07:07 AM)Clovis Wrote: Not to distract from this, but you and I should speak on that idea of mine for a storyline. Even if you aren't interested in working together on it with me, I'd still like one of your characters to play a close roll in its conception. Endling would make the most sense, but any pious character of yours could work.

We should! I'd actually love to help with the guild; I'll see if I can wrangle you for a discussion later.

----

Regarding Dae's comment, I guess I'm still concerned with differences in tone and ideas with such an idea. Not everyone has the same concept of horror or the like, and I don't really want Northwind to be muddled in that regard. Which could probably be interpreted as pretty selfish, and if it is then that's just my fault. Iunno; I'm just more comfortable running it on my own.
Perfectly ok to be selfish in this regard, if you ask me!

Anyway, just do what you want. As much as I love Northwind, I want you to do it when you want to do it.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
(08-28-2012, 08:59 AM)Rigley Wrote: lighthearted

Yeah I could go weeks on relaxing RP, personally. Sitting in front of a lake with a fishing pole with nothing to do but to sip an ale and shoot the breeze with some company... Mhmm, please!

I think we share the same problem, Rigley. We RP in extremes. One day it's all death and destruction! Another could be stirring up IC drama or tying up loose ends. The next could be action or adventure! Then all off a sudden, BAM it hits you!

I just want to chill...
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
...Does Azeroth have cruises?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rigley's Cataclysmic Interest Inventory - Round 1 Rigley 27 4,184 05-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Rigley
  Rigley's Answer-Blog Rigley 7 1,742 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM
  Rigley's Event Interest Inventory, Part Whichever Rigley 34 5,457 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Last Post: CappnRob
  Rigley Ramble (Sorta): On Stagnation Rigley 31 6,111 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM
  Rigley is Adrift Rigley 6 1,655 10-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Last Post: CappnRob