Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Order in Lawlessness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
This should probably go to the RP ideas forum, I don't really know. These are just some suggestions we could follow in the lawless area.

Understand that this isn't me "telling people how to RP." I'd like to see the lawless area do well and not just turn into an out-of-context grief hub.

IC Guidelines:
ICly, people who frequent a lawless zone would most likely follow de facto guidelines; unspoken "by the fact" guidelines that people mostly mutually agree upon. It's dangerous, but there's still a code intact that allows for things to flow smoothly... most of the time.

Acceptance: A necromancer may roll up in there with their rotty crew and see a slaver in the market hawking a full load. They may think this is disgusting; however, an unspoken rule of equality, the same one that allows his undead minions to even be on the island so openly, allow this slaver to exist. The necromancer may as well begrudgingly accept this and moves on.

MAD: Mutually Assured Destruction falls along the acceptance spectrum, but in a darker manner. Some of you may have heard this term before when it comes to international relationships. What it basically means is "attack us or our allies, we attack back." For characters who are more prone to violence, this may be the one thing keeping them from attacking someone, or at least turning outright murderous. Could also overlap with "Do Unto Others..." as in, some characters may be just fine with being hurt the way they hurt others. :twisted:

What Happens Here, Stays Here: Exactly what it says on the tin- well, sort of. Basically, if some especially nasty mess goes down on the Lawless Island, it's likely not going to be bought up outside of the island by the culprits or even some onlookers. This can yield for some really nice RP that warrants some forced confessions and/or bribes, especially for a murder mystery or blackmail. To an extent, there's a rule like this in Goblin Towns, too, especially the ones who profit from vice.

OOC Guidelines:
Character Warnings: The island is, of course, one perpetual CW. This shouldn't/doesn't always mean "Your character might die," it means your character might get hurt if they say or do the wrong thing. Oh, and they might die, too! The place is unpredictable! In return, it means that said puncher might get jumped on. It also means a brawl might start!

Communication, Collaboration, & Consideration: These are probably one of the most vital aspects of lawless/risky RP. In a place like this, one can't always win every situation no matter what alignment the character is. But, one can't always force situations on others, either. Still, consequences should be considered, and the willingness to have rational discussions OOC should be taken. This probably mainly occurs when dying might have a high chance, and the victim's player may just want them to be maimed, or if a situation REALLY doesn't make sense.

This could be viewed as, not getting your way, but an opportunity for even richer RP - if all worked out properly. Maybe collaborate and get some kind of deliciously dark and violent storyline going.

Server Rules: You know, the ones about metagaming especially? Yeah, we know you want to play hero or get that bounty, but how does your character even know that guy hanging around the bonfire killed and ate 10 kids? Think about it...

Some quotes that will probably be useful:

Danalthar Wrote:
Wuvvums Wrote:I think we could actually continue doing it depending on who's on. The system is more based on apathy than anything else. People will only interfere if they give a rat's a-hole about what's going on around them.

And I don't think anyone's even bothered to tell anyone else that this is going on, even when they see it happen.

This, and let IC things be handled IC. If your character would has a problem with it, then approach them IC.
^^Which in turn yields more RP! Yay, RP!

This is my 1000th post, and I hope it's not in vain. c:
This is short, so feel free to this list add or comment on any of my suggestions. I'll also add more on my own as I think of anything.

Edit: Typos and stuff
I hope it's not in vain, either.
I actually thought that people were aware of these, and I didn't have to write it but thank you for your effort :)
Something that bothers me also is how everyone throw CWs around. I'm not telling others how to RP or how their character would react, bla. bla. bla. But I don't believe that a guy would kill someone for looking wrong at them, even drug dealers don't -kill- other people for not paying. They much rather blackmail or punish them, by cutting a finger off or something like that. Wouldn't that lead to loads of better RP? As it is, I don't think character deaths really don't make any good RP - seeing as the motive is usually ridicolous. Someone annoy you? Teach them a lesson.

Character death's are so common that it doesn't really lead to interesting RP. If you are gonna kill another character, atleast make it interesting for both of you. He has been ruining your business or you really want revenge? Kidnap him and let your fists persuade him. Just an idea, but I believe that not all characters are remorseless murderers who would kill anyone for just looking wrong at them.
Actually I think it's the opposite- character deaths haven't really been happening that that often because a lot of people have been avoiding the warnings. That's their choice, and I respect that.

HOWEVER I really don't like this idea that you need a good reason to kill someone. I was being heckled the other day for giving out a character warning when I was a ghoul- does a zombie troll really need a good reason to go kill someone?
Wuvvums Wrote:Actually I think it's the opposite- character deaths haven't really been happening that that often because a lot of people have been avoiding the warnings. That's their choice, and I respect that.

HOWEVER I really don't like this idea that you need a good reason to kill someone. I was being heckled the other day for giving out a character warning when I was a ghoul- does a zombie troll really need a good reason to go kill someone?

Probably not, but their master would probably need some kind of incentive to let it happen, since undead minions tend to be bound to the will of their master. Guess who'd take the blame for any incidents then? Hehe, any necromancer or death knight would likely be aware of it and hold their minions on a tight leash so as to note attract the ire of the whole settlemet.

Personally I have been avoiding going to Alcaz because it seems people go there mostly because it's the cool thing, get a chance to seem like a badass throwing around warnings and maybe some boasting about so-and-so that they killed or beat up.

I'm all for a lawless area or even changing the rules on guards and towns, if people could handle it. But from what I've seen in the past and what seems to have been going on (based on hearsay) it's not exactly going according to plan. I like Twilight's post, probably the best 1000th post made here, and hope people will take it to heart and maybe encourage people roleplaying in the Lawless area to check it out. I think I might even go there myself and see if things really are as bad as I've gotten the impression of.
Wuvvums Wrote:Actually I think it's the opposite- character deaths haven't really been happening that that often because a lot of people have been avoiding the warnings. That's their choice, and I respect that.

A zombie troll doesn't need a good reason to kill someone other than "master commands it" or "Me hungry" or something to that effect.

But most people don't expect to get a warning for saying "Hi", or "the", etc.
But when they see an obvious zombie troll, should the logical course of action be to ignore it and just walk by? To give them the options to run away from the situation or face a fight seems rather reasonable. It's like facing the Scourge, you know there's some risk involved if you see them.
Well, here. Just to throw this out here, I'll show Redis' reasoning to even be there.

1. Profit.
-No black market yet... And some people -have- to get their Fel Blood somewhere. Redis finds this a great place to make some much needed funds. Funds that'll go on to buy his undead more equipment, and fuel his research and treks. He's planning to go to the Plaguelands some time.

2. Gathering an Army
- Be you alive, or dead, Redis had a use for mercs and paladins. For that quest to the very heart of the Scourge in the Eastern Kingdoms, he's going to need back-up. A lot of it.

So! With funds gathered from this island, he will be openly hiring mercs to go with him. If they survive or not, doesn't matter to Redis. He'll just raise them into undeath if they fail.

Also... Since death is common and no one even does a thing about it, Redis is also open to simply killing off the local population for their corpse. Half these people are outlaws and nobodies, and the rest of Light users. What does it matter to him?

3. Field Test
- Redis, believe it or not, is practicing Necromancy. He's attempting to grasp a better handle on combat while using this art, in real time fighting. He's still a young Necromancer, he doesn't know a -lot-, but he has the basics down.

Anyways, I issue out a CW to everyone who RP's with Redis every time I enter the island. Mainly, because I don't even know what's going to happen. He might have a peaceful day, or have to fight off a posse of paladins. Whatever the case may be, Redis usually goes for the killing blow, since more ghouls is always welcomed.

Now, he'll keep doing his own thing, however he pleases, until someone gets it in their head that if they rounded up five locals or so, it'll overwhelm him easily. But, until then, enjoy obvious Necromancer and co. :3
@Nostra: Yeah, it's the same thing I feel. The whole reason why I revived Cleo's idea and established the place was not so everyone could go on a killing rampage for no reason, but for them to feel less restricted - and the whole karma thing applies. It actually -feels- like you are in a world were violence is a much more common thing, and not so much frowned upon. People hiding inside of Booty Bay only makes for boring RP.

If I see someone fighting, I usually ask them ICly to get a bit away from the settlement itself. Even though people know OOCly that people have to give you a CW before doing a fight to death, your character wouldn't know. Like, if Coriv decided to kill... Redis for a good example (:3) He would take him a bit way from the settlement first, and when he is beat badly - put him into the gallow.

What I'm saying is that if you are gonna kill someone, atleast do it a bit away from the settlement. It's a mess ICly if all the bodies lie around the settlement and OOCly - new players will frown upon it when they head to the settlement, only to see 4 people fighting and others killing off.
I don't think it's much karma system(remember, Redis got to kill people in broad daylight and all the good guys did was walk away like nothing happened). It's more like a free for all anything happens.
Good thing that Coriv wasn't around... /evil laugh
Wuvvums Wrote:I don't think it's much karma system(remember, Redis got to kill people in broad daylight and all the good guys did was walk away like nothing happened). It's more like a free for all anything happens.
If he tried to do something he would possibly face potential death taking on a necromancer and his minion B:

But really, someone came into town and was like "look! there's a necromancer! we should do something!"

But everyone acted like the dwarf was obnoxious and just watched as my troll chased him around and tried to kill him. No one tried to stop me when I snapped his neck and we made him into a new ghoul. Where's the karma in that?
Don't expect you guys to be around for much longer if you continue doing that. Coriv would most likely encourage others to go against you guys.
Well, you can't really expect all people to apply to that "rule".
Do it ICly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10