The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Inter-Faction Friendships
Hi there,

I was just wondering if it's possible to have two characters from opposing factions to be friends? Or is it too "out" with the lore?

Also, sorry if this isn't posted in the right place. I would have put it in the "Lore" subforum, but it's not letting me post there.

Thanks. :D
As long as you both keep it reasonable, there is nothing to stop you from having friendships stretch across race or faction.
Enjoy it while it lasts. Come Cata, I think the two factions will be much more at war than they currently are, and it will be interesting to see how/if characters can balance the loyalty to their people and faction, with the loyalty to trans-faction friends. Consorting with the enemy is tantamount to being a traitor to your own people, after all.
[Image: badge.jpg]
I am Rogue.
ManDudely Wrote:Enjoy it while it lasts. Come Cata, I think the two factions will be much more at war than they currently are, and it will be interesting to see how/if characters can balance the loyalty to their people and faction, with the loyalty to trans-faction friends. Consorting with the enemy is tantamount to being a traitor to your own people, after all.

Then again, most people stay away from the 'main' factions in their RP, which would pretty much ignore this kind of stuff.
True. But though I don't know -too- much about changes in Cata, when the Goblins have joined the Horde, are there going to be many 'Neutral' cities left?

Inter-factional friendships should severely damage the reputation of the character in the eyes of their own faction/home-city, but that isn't something that can really be enforced, just recommended as something for players to keep in mind. How popular can you be in Stormwind if you spend all your time in Booty Bay, chatting with your Orc and Belf buddies, instead of fighting for the Alliance, and vice-versa for Hordies.
I am Rogue.
Onlt ONE clan of Goblins join the Horde. Not all of them. The Steamwheedle Cartel that bosses over Ratchet and Booty Bay will still be Neutral, so. . . No change there. At all.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
Fair enough. Ah well, the underlying message still applies; don't act like a hero of your race if you're never home, and perpetually consorting with members of the enemy faction.

That's not to anyone in particular by the way, I haven't been involved enough to know if anyone is -actually- doing that, but I can see it as being something innocently overlooked. It shouldn't really have too much of an effect, seeing as in general our characters only interact with the occaisional GM-controlled NPC anyway.
I am Rogue.
Quote:Recently, the goblins of Kezan have found a new enemy in the Alliance – unexpected and unprofitable encounters with this faction have driven certain trade princes from their comfortable neutrality. Reforging old pacts with their one-time allies, the goblins have been welcomed into the Horde with open arms.
[Image: NXAwd.png?1]
I think that friendships are slightly restricted due to factions but the bigger restrictions are the mentality of the character, what class they are, and what they believe in. Heck my first friend made on my character (excluding those made in my characters history) was from the alliance and my character is in the horde. It was because she respected the lands of Kalimdor that made my character know they wouldn't be enemies, and if they aren't enemies then, there you have it, a potential friend.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
Quote:You're not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your f***ing khakis.

I try to apply these ideals to my character(s).

It's from Fight Club, the movie. But we don't talk about fight club.
Lower the flags, a good man has passed.
He has reached the last of frontiers.
Lower the flags, down to half-mast.
For again the world has taken a turn for the worse.

My Gallery.
As much as I like The Film That Shall Not Be Named and agree with the quote, it was based in a realistic world where the only dominant race is Human. There are no Orcs that have been warring against the Humans. You're playing in a fantasy world in a psuedo-middle ages era.

It's all well and good if your character is for some reason progressive enough to look deeper than the green skin, just realise you hold an outlook much different from the conservative norm. Your race is -at war- with these people. You would have been raised in a propaganda riddled environment designed to breed your hatred and distrust of the opposite faction, to garner support for the war efforts. Expect to be outcast and ridiculed for it if people back home find out you're making friends with the enemy... and by people, I generally mean nameless, faceless NPCs that you won't have any interaction with anyway. Of course, this doesn't really apply in Neutral cities, or areas where the Horde and Alliance are forced into coercion, such as Icecrown.

Honestly, sometimes, it feels like World of Lovecraft. Just my thoughts on the matter, anyway.
I am Rogue.
I should have probably added, my heroic/good characters (sience i often play "good aligned"). Some D&D alignment how to RP guide said good aligned have usually modern ideals.
Lower the flags, a good man has passed.
He has reached the last of frontiers.
Lower the flags, down to half-mast.
For again the world has taken a turn for the worse.

My Gallery.
Quote:Honestly, sometimes, it feels like World of Lovecraft. Just my thoughts on the matter, anyway.
Quote:Honestly, sometimes, it feels like World of Lovecraft.
Quote:World of Lovecraft.

Welcome to Conquest of the Horde! Have you hugged an orc today?
Don't you realize what World of Lovecraft would have?
To stay on topic here:

Nothing is going to stop inter-faction relationships... even if they are ridiculous.
Go to the guides forum, Zaverick, you'll find a guide on race relationships I do believe.
"Everybody sees what you appear to be, few feel what you are..."
-Niccolò Machiavelli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So Blizz came up with this cool new faction! Sol 24 3,477 10-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Valicor
  Cross-Faction stuff dastmo 5 1,358 01-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  A question on the Scarlet Crusade (Faction Question) Toulac 8 2,527 10-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Diethe
  Faction NPCs/Reputation garrett 5 1,105 09-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  Cross-faction roleplay Kretol 47 7,714 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Blaize